Tuesday, September 07, 2021

Pegden Part 3
 
It was a few weeks before I saw Pegden again. We called him Pegden but that was his surname. He never revealed his first name. I guessed it was because it was a terrible first name for a man of mystery and adventure. After he insisted, “It’s Pegden. Just Pegden.” I never asked again.
I was at the Peterborough Beer festival 2007 lining up a group shot of drunken happy smiling faces, when Pegden leaps in front of my camera like a circus clown. A big smile on his face.
I took the last photo and “For fucks sake Pegden. How are you? Where’ve you been?”
“I’m good mate. Been here and there. Mostly there, know what I mean? ha ha.”
“But your trouble. You know the deal?”
He looked at me blankly, “What?”
“The Welland, Stanground. The money you owed.”
“Oh that. Yeah man, that was sweet, did the deal. My man in the Welland got what he wanted, paid off the guy. Slapped that fucker right in his hand. Dosh! ‘take that bastard, we’re square.’ Jus’ like that. And I got a bit of spending money left over for myself. As I say, sweet as.”
“Well I was a bit worried.”
“Jeez you know me. Always land on my feet me. Come on have a beer. I’m buying.”
“I can’t take photos and hold a pint at the same time.”
“Well don’t take photos then. Ya fuckin’ eejit. Just drink.”
“Oh OK.”
Pegden wanders off to the bar. He didn’t bother which section of the bar. To him it was just a bar, beer is beer. He comes back with two pints.
“Whatcha got Pegden?”
“Beer, whaddya think? Get it down ya.”
“..and errr where did the glass come from?”
“You ask a lot of questions for someone getting a free beer. I found it alright? Anything else you wanna know?” I did, but I didn't
“The deal. What happened?”
“It was a one off deal, to get me out the shit is all. So I got to Stanground, met up with the guy. He looked over the product. Decided it was kosher and handed over the money. Nice guy actually, you wouldn't think he was a major dealer. He lived in a nice house, not too big. Regular car in the drive. He's got kids. but, you know, I’m not making a habit of it. I made the deal, it worked, it all went smoothly, end of.”
I knew not to press him any further on the subject “So whatcha been up to then?”
"Well then. Funny you should ask. I've got to tell you about..." Pegden, now in his element, and over the space of more beers, treated me to more of his tales of drink, debauchery and adventure, before I staggered off home to Eastfield Road.
TBC

 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Show some love... comment below.

<< Home

|