Wednesday, May 19, 2004

Went to see Sandra tonight. God! She looked like shit. Eyes red and streaming, lost her voice, but bless her, she was still practicing her guitar. Trying to put a brave face on the fact her beloved is going on tour of America next week and she wont see him for two months. And when he does get back he's almost immediatley off on tour of Scotland for six weeks. Hey that's what happens when you fall in love with a professional musician. The music comes first. You are young grass hopper, you will learn.
We didn't play tonight. But I went to the club all the same. It was the same old crowd. Howard with the impossibly deep voice. Andy who is so bad he is brilliant. He is the only person I know who can play "Baby hit me one more time" on a fender stratocaster and and play it for laughs. Absolutely brilliant. And John Quinn. What can I say? This boy has talent. I spent three weeks learning to play "Substitute" by "The Who" we were playing on the same bill and he played it first. I was mortified. he played it a million times better than I ever could. So it was dropped from the set immediately. Don't you just hate that? I'm happy to follow anyone on stage......except John. The bastard how come he has ALL the talent? Why do I have to work so hard just to be competent, when he just does it so easily? I could easily learn to hate him. But then hate isn't in my vocabulary.
I had a great idea today. Simon and I can do showcase events using our PA system. We invite up and coming wannabees to do a gig, a proper gig at a pub. We get maybe three or four bands and they just plug into our PA. They do a thirty minute set each. They'll be gagging for the opportunity to play live in front of a crowd. To prove themselves and to have the honour of telling all their mates that they have a proper gig to do. They'll even pay us to play. Then we charge the pub £150 for the privelige of us putting on the show. We win all ways. Sounds great doesn't it? Now tell me the drawbacks that I haven't thought of. Yes I know the drums will be a problem.
I've fielded the idea to a few other musician friends of mine and they all seem to think it's a good idea, so maybe it can work. Jeez I can be so altruistic sometimes. Helping out the up and comings and lining my pockets at the same time. And help Simon pay for his J200. A worthy charity. We were going to go on a road trip to this place in Bath to buy the J200. But he thought it was too dangerous. he'd want to buy everything in the shop and make his credit card go into overdrive. He's a sucker for a classic guitar. Me? I'm happy with my 12 string and my 6 string and my mandolin. What more do I want? OK maybe an adoring crowd, all screaming and shouting for more. Shit! I'm just a music junkie. Someone who'd rather be up there on stage, than in the crowd screaming for more.
I'd write more but I know I must sleep. That's the problem with being a writer. It's in your blood. It's the very essence of your soul. When you don't write you feel uncomfortable. Uneasy. I didn't know I was a blogger until a few weeks ago. I've been doing this for over twenty years. Writing regular letters and Emailing them to a select group of friends. I'm not sure I like to be a blogger, just as I'm not sure I like to be human, or like to be alive, but that's how it is. This is what I am I have to accept that. Perhaps it's the name that puts me off. Being a blogger. Sounds shite doesn't it? Sound like I'm an anorak. But I'll deal with it.
I've scrolled through the blogs posted on just this site and they go past at an everage of three every second. I try and read as many as I can stand. Most of them are absolute dross. But occassionally I come across a gem like "The hackney lookout". It's not often. It gives me hope. In amongst all the rubbish is some talent. It just takes some finding. But in the end worth it. If you are reading this Quink tell me how to make a link to your blog. It's got to be shared.

May your God be with you

Rock on

Mikel

3 Comments:

Blogger Quink said...

Can't agree with the label 'blogger' making you/one seem like an anorak. Just something you have to forget about I think.

I can't easily show you how to make a link - this post won't accept HTML and I haven't time to add in the characters so they show up as text. There is some help somewhere on blogger, I think - but I'll drop you an email this evening if you have no luck.

And thanks for the recommendation...!

7:37 am  
Blogger Quink said...

Here's the help page: http://help.blogger.com/bin/answer.py?answer=110&topic=22

7:58 am  
Blogger Quink said...

re first post. I meant, " I couldn't agree more...

7:40 pm  

Post a Comment

Show some love... comment below.

<< Home

|