Thursday, November 11, 2004

Crisis Management

Oh dear I haven't posted much this week. I've been busy rehearsing for this Saturdays gig. We've got a whole new set of songs that we're doing. New equipment to get used to. It's not just learning the songs either it's learning the arrangements, little things like we both start and stop at the same time. We both play in the same key. that helps.
Del wants to play electric guitar over my Ovation acoustic. We're not sure if it's going to work too well but it has to be tried.
Meanwhile I'm struggling to write my novel. It's a lot harder than I thought. I don't mean writing is hard. That's a piece of piss. But the sheer volume that needs to be done. The target is 50,000 words by the end of November. It's now the 11th already and I've only managed 15,000 words so far. And a lot of that was already written in short stories. Eeek! One month to write a novel if only I had a an extra 6 hours a day to play with.

ON top of that my boy is doing a fortnights work experience so guess who has to be up at the crack of dawn to go and take him to work then battle through rush hour traffic to get back here. Yep c'est moi.

ON top of that I have my business to run. You that thing you do during the day that keeps a roof over your head. The music is the beer money. The writing is enjoyment. Huh?

I'm tired and I'm fed up. I need a break. The good news is I renegotiated the Christmas Eve gig and persuaded the landlord to pay us £300 for the night. Oh joy. Pay back time for all those hours struggling to learn guitar and practicing. Playing the same thing over and over again until you get it right.

Oh joy the ex -wife has just spoken to me she's going away for a few days I have to look after the boy. Not a problem I can do that. I can run over and cook him dinner in between everything else. I can take him to the cinema or something. How many hours are there in a day? There's not enough for everything I want to do and have to do. As it is I don't sleep as much as I should. I'm eating into valuable sleeping time just to keep up. There are no hours left. I've run out of margin. There's no leaway anymore. I could always skip eating that'll save me a few extra hours. Hmm I've already done that. I can't think of anything else.

Quick sidestep into crisis management. At which I am an expert. This is where you lurch from one crisis to the next. Take everything as it comes. No time to plan ahead, just go with the flow and roll with the punches.
How have I GOT TIME TO EVEN WRITE THIS? I'm at work. I have to be here. So I'm even eating into work time now. If I was any sort of boss I'd have to sack myself.

Fuck it. I'll make myself a coffee and think this through. NO there goes the phone. Shit!

Rock on dudes

iPod now playing - Whippin' Picadilly by Gomez

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Show some love... comment below.

<< Home

|